Thursday, May 10, 2012

I Don't Believe We've Met

And so I revert back to my awful puns for post titles. It feels good to be home.

As you are most likely aware, the Met Costume Institute Gala 2012 happened just the other night. It's one of the biggest events of the year; other titles include the Met Ball and the Oscars of the East Coast. The reason all of this happens is to celebrate the opening of the Metropolitan Museum of Art's annual fashion exhibit. This year the exposition is "Impossible Conversation," showing the differences and similarities between two of Italy's greatest designers, Elsa Schiaparelli and Miuccia Prada. You can check out some picz from the exhibit on Harper's Bazaar's website. Da yooj.

The best thing about the Met Gala is that it's infinitely more artistic than, say, the Oscars or the Grammys. Those are so commercialized and in my opinion, a little overrated (most of it is just watching people walk down the red carpet. For two hours. Wanna just show up on time, guys? That would be super.). If you're going to a museum exhibit opening, by default it is artsy. Therefore, people have a bit more fun with their outfits. Not as many people pay attention to this particular event (in comparison to the Academy Awards), so the attendees are free to experiment as they please. You'll see what I mean in a minute.

I've selected a few of my favorites from the evening to share with you all. Make like Spongebob and just soak it all in. That was really bad. Wow. 


Photos via harpersbazaar.com.

Mah home gurl, Arizona Muse, in Erdem, with the designer. They are so perfect together. I want to be their child friend. I'm a huge fan of Erdem's dainty floral prints, so slap 'em on Arizona Muse and you've got yourself a winner. 

Here we have China Chow rockin' that Jean Paul Gaultier. This dress is so architectural and confusing that I can't tell if she's a woman or a tent. That is man repelling at its finest. 

Diane Kruger, also man repelling at the Met Gala in some Pradadada. Undefined waist: check. Tent-like silhouette: check. Feather adorned hemline: check. It's a good thing she already has a husband.  

Hailee Steinfeld, how I love you so! You're barely six months older than I am, yet your wardrobe is a million times better than mine will ever be. In honor of the exhibit's subject, Hailee's sporting a Prada dress. The straight neckline and embellishments are totally age appropriate--you've done it again, Hailee. 

I've already professed my love for Alexa Chung before, so I won't launch into a whole speech now. She's showing us a prime example of someone experimenting a lil' bit on the red carpet. When was the last time you saw someone wearing a white button-up shirt and a leather dress to a black tie event? That would be never. She and Karen Elson both rock some scrumpdiddlyumptious Marc Jacobs ensembles. 

I'm not a huge fan of the actress, but I love her dress. Kristen Stewart actually surprised me a bit by wearing a patchwork Balenciaga piece. We've got some python-esque print, some colorblocking, some leather...she's covered all the bases. Kudos to Kristen.

Coco Rocha has so much going on here that I don't even know where to begin. Let's start from the top and work our way down. Pink dip-dyed hair...hmm. Not quite sure how I feel about it. It's a little too Katy Perry for me, but it's tolerable. The vintage Givenchy yellow pantsuit is perfect, though. It was worn by Elizabeth Taylor, and she's even got the wine stain to prove it. 

Another teenage favorite: Dakota Fanning. She and her sister Elle are probably angels from heaven, but like, whatever. Dakota keeps it sweet and simple in a gorgeous Louis Vuitton gown. She has the pastel trend down pat. 

Here we have Exhibit B (pun, 'cause it's a museum-related gala) of experimental fashion. Elizabeth Banks is wearing Mary Katrantzou. There is some masterful peplumery going on right here. I can't tell if I like the hair and makeup, though. I think a red lip and slicked back hair in a cool bun or something would've been better. 

Emma Stone keeps it cute and playful in this red Lanvin number. As per yooj, Emma accessorized/hair styled/makeup-ed perfectly. 10 points for Gryffindor (the joke there is that she and Emma Watson share the same name, and latter played Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter films, and Hermione is a Gryffindor.)! 

January Jones is once again in Versace. Is that a mini peplum I see? Either way, it's a yellow dress, and that's always a good thing. January is basically a trendy sex monster. Hmu

More fancy fun with eveningwear! I love me some Rodarte, and that shade of orange on Kirsten Dunst is quite smashing. She's totally channeling the forties look, down to the hair and accessories. 

Classic Linda Farrow. She's wearing Naeem Khan. That's all I can say. 

Chanel is by far one of my favorite design houses on the face of the planet, so you can imagine my delight when I saw Stella Tennant wearing this dress. I mean, she has a metal corset on. She's practically wearing armor. We got ourselves a fierce chick up in hurr. 

I usually don't go into such great depth about celebrity fashion, but there were some especially interesting looks at the Met Gala, wouldn't you agree?

I'm as curious as a cat today so why don't you tell me which one is your favorite? That would be cute. You can pour your heart out into the comments section, this blog's Facebook wall, send a tweet, et cetera, whatever tickles your fancy, floats your boat...I truly would like your fancies tickled and your boats afloat.


2 comments:

  1. HAILEE! HAILEE HAILEE HAILEE. shes so cool. oh my god.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many beautiful and interesting looks indeed. How fun would it be to dress up and go to this event?! Thanks for sharing :)

    Lindsey
    Complacency Kills
    Check Out My New Giveaway <3

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!