Thursday, May 17, 2012

Manspiration

When you find a guy with good style, you've struck gold. It's a rare occurrence. I already wrote an article about how much it frustrates me when men dress badly; now I must praise those that know how to cover their bodies well. Sometimes I like to channel a borrowed-from-the-boys look, but that's tough if there aren't any males to draw inspiration from. That's why I've compiled this photo mush of seven of the best dressed famous (and non-famous) guys that I could find. Enjoy at your own risk: you are about to witness some of the most beautiful people on earth. 

Photos from various sources on the internet too numerable to mention, but photoshopped together by me. 

Darren Criss 
Darren Criss is a god in his own right. You may already know at this point that I have an abnormal obsession--an infatuation, if you will--with this particular human, and with good reason. He dresses in an extremely classy manner and still manages to keep things relaxed. His style as Blaine on "Glee" is a little more outrageous. I love it, but it's a little much. Darren in real life is slightly more laid back. Think button up shirts and cardigans, v-necks, adorable glasses, loafers...basically perfection. The admirable thing about his style is that it's realistic. Any guy with a bit of motivation can accomplish his look. 


Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley: king of rock. He's known for his ivory bell bottom suit, but few people realize that he wore other clothing. I'm not really sure how this happened. He embodied the fifties cool kid style with the slacks, varsity-style jackets and white shoes. He also went the opposite way sometimes, like when he wore gold lamé suits or something of that ilk. Elvis didn't really have a specific style of his own, but more accurately he represented the fashions of his time. 


 Jimi Hendrix 
Jimi Hendrix totally embraced the sixties and seventies trends. He wore fringed jackets, headbands, peasant blouses, skinny jeans and bell bottoms. He had a plethora of crazy belts and jewelry, in addition to his insanely rad afro. Apart from being arguably the best guitarist to ever have lived, Jimi inspired a generation and continues to do so decades after his death. If I met someone who dressed like this, I would worship them. Okay, fine, maybe I wouldn't turn to polytheism but I would definitely ask him to take me shopping. 


Joseph Gordon-Levitt
I have an immeasurable amount of love for this man. Naturally, I adored him as Tom in "(500) Days of Summer," and Arthur in "Inception," but my affection runs deeper than that. Joseph Gordon-Levitt not only has dramatic talent beyond belief (and is gorgeous), he also has an impeccable fashion sense. The vests, the button-ups, the blazers and the classic prints all add up to a sophisticated yet unique style. He can also defy gravity, so that's always a plus. Inception references wut.


Kurt Cobain
I'm not going to lie and pretend that I know the oeuvre of Nirvana, although I wish I did. But I will say that I greatly appreciate the talented human being that is Kurt Cobain. In addition to being a lyrical and musical genius, Kurt had an incredible and perfectly nineties style. He totally owned the striped shirts, ripped tees and jeans and crazy jackets look (if that's a thing). His hair completed the nineties-ness and rocker appeal. When I find a man that wears clothes like Kurt's I will marry him. No competition. 


Matt Smith 
I don't actually watch "Doctor Who," but I do think that the current Doctor, Matt Smith, is pretty gorgeous. I'm not sure if he wears bow ties in real life, but if he does...boyakasha (that was an unintended pun--see the word "boy" in there? Heh heh.).  I would respect him greatly for that. Matt doesn't really incorporate his Doctor style into his every day wardrobe, which makes the contrast interesting to observe. Peep him walking on the street in jeans, a t-shirt, a jacket and cool shades; then, see his button-up, bow tie, blazer and bowler hat. It's quite an accomplishment to be able to rock two completely different styles, so snaps for Matt! 


Blake Jacobsen 
Last but definitely not least, Blake Jacobsen, the blogger behind The Style Manual. I don't recall how I found Blake, but I'm sure glad I did. He is a beautiful human being, a ridiculously talented photographer and one of the most well-dressed males I have ever laid eyes on. He tends to wear mostly black, leather, and denim, but sometimes he switches it up and throws in some blue, some skrafs and always some Doc Martens. All. Ways. It's borderline weird how often I draw inspiration from Blake, but you have to admit, he dresses SO WELL! I can't get over it. I really cannot. 


Next time you want to dress masculinely, look at these guys and I promise that inspiration will hit you like a tsunami. Or like an army of teddybears jumping on you. Or perhaps like a gang of small children fledging a full frontal attack on you.

I apologize once again for the long gap of time between this post and the last one. I've not gotten home at a decent hour once this week. As I write this, I'm waiting to audition for my school's musical. I truly hope that I can get on a more regular schedule soon, but finals are in three weeks and then Regents the next week. Erghumshmurgum!!!!!

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!