Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Trending Right Now: Silly Sunnies

A few weeks ago, it would've been okay if I'd kept saying "Trending Next Spring." April was kind of a joke. But May is now upon us, and the fact that spring has come with it is inevitable. I might confuse you if I continued to title these posts with names referring to next spring. The lack of consistency is going to bother me immensely, but I shall do this for the good of the public. Meaning you.

On to the real matter at hand: sunglasses. I have a love-hate relationship with this particular accessory. As a young girl, I was always infuriated by them because I could never find ones whose lenses my eyelashes did not brush up against when I blinked. The best way I can describe this feeling is to have you imagine putting mascara on...every time you open and close your eyes. You can see why I became murderous as soon as the prospect of shopping for sunglasses entered my mother's mind. A few years ago, I discovered big sunglasses that made me look like a bug, Nicole Richie style. They were the only type I would wear. Period. My mom thought I was insane, probably. I literally looked like an insect. I totally dug it. (Almost a pun?) Last year when I went to France with my French class over spring break, I found my beloved pair of heart-shaped sunglasses in Nice, and the rest is history. My love affair with UV-ray-protecting lenses and their respective frames is quite complicated, but undoubtedly existent. I've gathered more pairs of sunglasses in the past year or so than in the preceding fourteen-ish years, including these ones from Venice Beach and these puppies from my mom.

The thing that I love about sunglasses is that they add character to any outfit while shielding your eyes from the harmful sun. That bitch. Causing skin cancer, hurting your eyes, over-warming the Earth...so overrated. As you can tell from my heart sunnies, I prefer kooky ones to plain ones. I was never a fan of the classic Ray Bans, mostly because they looked awful with my bangs. Now that those repulsive things are gone, I think I can explore that new world of possibilities without fear. Feelin' a little like Christopher Columbus here, guys. Crazy sunglasses are exactly what we should be talking about right now (the key words there are "right now")--nothing is more on-trend. Except maybe all of these things.

Here are the best of the weirdest that walked the runways for this season. Get ready, fish is about to get cray.

Photos via harpersbazaar.com.

Acne 

I don't even know what to call these. Are they aviation goggles? I mean, they can't possibly be sunglasses. 

Lanvin

I thought these were like the Matrix sunglasses, but it turns out they're not. I wouldn't really know because I've never seen those movies (please don't hate me. While we're on the topic I've never seen "West Side Story" or "Rent" either), but I just kind of assumed. They're actually more Spy Kids than anything.

Prada

Pradadadada sunglasses, part deux! These sort of remind me of the ones my mom gave me

Proenza Schouler 

I love cat-eye sunglasses more than anything. These are cat-eyes to da extreme. I just realized that the word extreme is spelled similarly to the word creme, and I was thinking earlier today how in certain situations creme is a much prettier word than cream, but not all the time. 

Rag & Bone

Sorry, that wasn't supposed to be a question. That is a solid fact. She could probably dive into a pool and be able to see just fine.

Rochas

I may have lied before. These are the most extreme cat-eye glasses I have seen to date. They're like if a teardrop was wearing a turquoise Snuggie. ...Sort of. 

If you're looking for some more sunny silliness, hop on over to the Man Repeller's blog (what's new.) and check out her lil' story about the crayest of the cray. Sunglasses-wise, that is.

It's Wednesday.
...Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!