Monday, May 28, 2012

Keith Haring Makes A Shirt

Please scroll down quickly and look at the shirt I'm wearing in these photographs, and then come back, ya hear? If you're reading these words I'm assuming you've returned. Tell me that crop top doesn't look like a work of Keith Haring's art. A more simplified version, yes, but very Haring nonetheless. 

This top was my mom's in presumably the eighties (wasn't she such a kool chick??). It's the shirt to a pair of matching pants that I wore to the Rochambeau and Farah Angsana shows during New York Fashion Week. When have you ever heard of a crop top pants suit being in existence? The answer to that one should be a hearty never. The best thing about this fabulous invention is that it's surprisingly on trend for this spring--remember the whole matchy-matchy suits trend I told you about a while ago? Well I'll be darned, those things are real! Can I get a "challah!" to that? (I guess that joke would have been more appropriate around Passover...#ineffectiveJewishheritagejokes) 

I don't have the courage to wear the whole shebang to school, but I'm doing it over the summer or next fall fer sher. (That's another one of those silly promises you've gotta hold me to; ya didn't do such a great job with the yellow nail polish claim I made last spring. Get'cha head in the game, guys!) On Friday, I decided to wear it over an open-backed dress that usually becomes my best friend during the summer--don't hate just because I form seasonal friendships with pieces of fabric--with a pair of cray-cray earrings I won in a giveaway last year. My friend Carmen told me they looked like radishes while Olive told me they looked like ugli fruit. Do with that what you will. 

I wasn't quite sure how the whole thing was going to work out because the shirt has freakin' shoulder pads, but my sister assured me that the top looked fine. Other things my sister convinced me were true in the past: the fact that the Chicken Nugget Monster existed and that he was the one that was stealing all of my chicken nuggets when my sister so kindly alerted me that my shoes were untied when I wasn't wearing shoes. I digress. I guess you could say I was feeling a little wacky that day, channeling my inner eighties superstar (when the hell did she get there? She's not even a thing). The vibe I was getting from the whole look was "I AM AN ARTIST SEE ALL OF MY ARTISTIC REFERENCES TO KEITH HARING AND BIZARRE/UNNATURAL FRUIT AND ART." Just kidding guys, I'm not that pretentious. Right, guys? Hey I mean I was just kidding and whatever it's totally fine I'm not insane or anything 

Why don't we just look at the pictures and stuff? It's been a while since I've shown up on this blog. I was busy doing some intergalactic travel in the substratosphere and I met an alien named Kathy and she was really swee--NOT ACTUALLY I'VE BEEN STUDYING FOR FINALS CONSIDERING STUDYING FOR FINALS AND THAT ALONE HAS CAUSED INTERNAL COMBUSTION OF MY BRAIN. 

Photos by me.

Crop top: Scarlett (my mom's)
Denim jacket: Gap via Angel Street Thrift Shop
Riding boots: my cousin's 
Earrings: Belle Costes NYC

Not lookin' at anything in particular. 

There still is absolutely nothing fascinating on the ground. This is getting a little weird. 

Okay actually, though, what am I looking at and what made me think this was a good pose for several shots? If only Google could answer that one...

Hey guys! I see you! Don't worry, my hair isn't usually this cray. It was an especially humid day. Since it is my duty to embarrass myself to the greatest degree possible on this blog, I will now call attention to the sock on my right foot that happens to be peeking up above my shoe while the other one is not. Classy. 

Remember how I said I got a cartilage piercing a while ago? I haven't done an outfit post in few weeks so this is the first chance I got to show you my new addition to my left ear. It gets to have all the fun. Sorry, right ear (his name can be Ronnie). You'll see why this is okay by the time I'm in my senior year of high school. 

For the billionth and hopefully last time, I sincerely apologize for neglecting my baby (baby=this blog <--this looks too much like math, which I've been studying for several hours today) for a whole week. These past seven days were pretty rough, to the point where I left my keys in my jacket pocket one day and therefore locked myself out of my house until 7 pm on a school night with no food, water, laptop or anything but my math homework, some pens, my phone and The Great Gatsby. It's these finals, guys. They really get to me. I can't handle great amounts of pressure, evidently. I don't know how exactly I'm going to survive college, let alone 11th grade. Oh lordy lord.

Happy Memorial Day!


1 comment:

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!