Thursday, September 5, 2013

Something to Hide

My mom is a reoccurring theme on my blog. She always provides me with some of the most interesting and bizarre things I put on here (see my trip diary) (originally wrote dairy). A while back, she mentioned something about masks. How they were supposedly a trend. I was all like, "Uhm I think you're wrong but okay," and then I put a Mardi Gras mask on the copper bust of Beethoven located atop our piano. 

I recently discovered that she was actually, miraculously, correct. Maison Martin Margiela Couture has this thing--I'm tempted to tag it as a fetish--with full-head masks. I don't even know if I should classify them as masks. I have no idea what to call them. But whatever they are, they're awesome, and I desperately wish there wasn't a no-wearing-things-that-obstruct-your-face rule in school because then I would wear these on days when I'm feeling like "nope I'm not actually here right now" and I could just hang out inside my bejeweled ski mask minus the eye holes. 

Also, there was apparently some sort of high fashion mask trend surging in 2009, so I dug up a few photos from those days (it's been four years since '09 wait what?? I'm having a bit of a time trip because I started looking through my mom's old yearbooks from her job and the sassy 90s-ness of those kids invoked a weird sense of nostalgia for something I never experienced). 

[Photos via Style.com.]

Maison Martin Margiela Fall 2012 Couture

Maison Martin Margiela Spring 2013 Couture

Maison Martin Margiela Fall 2013 Couture

Alexandre Herchocovitch Fall/Winter 2009

Richard Nicoll Fall/Winter 2009

Leonardo DiCaprio 
trying to eat pizza
nice try
because now you just look stupid

[Photo by me.]

Yes.

Blindfolds are cool and all, but utterly impractical. So are welding masks. Actually, those are straight up scary and shouldn't be worn at all unless you are welding something.

As part of my femme fatale look I want to wear veils. But I have to find/make them first.

New York Fashion Week is beginning. Feel it in the streets, feel it in the air, the fashion horde is gonna getchyou.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!