Thursday, March 7, 2013

Plaid City

If Plaid City were a real place, I'd move there in a heartbeat. If you weren't already aware of this fact, I'm slightly addicted to plaid (see: my flannel, my winter jacket). I also bought a plaid shift dress this weekend. And remember those khaki-flannel pants I made over the summer? The print is indisputably a core part of my wardrobe. Imagine my delight when I started noticing people wearing plaid jackets earlier this winter. And by "people," I mean basically everyone in the entire world. That's not a hyperbole. I swear, every time I turned a corner, I saw a flash of black-and-red. Of course, I never had my camera with me at these occurrences. But trust me, I've been wanting to write about this since November or December. 

During Fashion Week this past season, I noticed that even the high-fashion crew are jumping on the plaid bandwagon. Check out my photographic evidence of said jumping. 

[Photos by me.]
A classic red and blue combo, school girl-style. 

I chased these people down because they were all wearing plaid. It was magical. 

She looks so happy! ...To be wearing plaid!

This woman was wearing a fur hat, a bindi, and a plaid bag. She's my kind of laydee. 

I may or may not have followed this guy down the street to get a decent photo of his jacket.

My Fashion Week friend, Natalie Suarez, wearing a funky plaid color combo. 

This was a look from the Alice + Olivia Fall/Winter 2013 collection. I became giddy at the sight of the print when I spotted it from afar. 

The thing that I love about plaid is that it's such a versatile pattern that there's no reason to ever shy away from it. It impeccably combines several colors, geometric shapes, and different proportions in such a classic way that the print is rarely too loud or obnoxious. It adds a traditional feel to whatever you're wearing--whether traditional means prep school, lumberjack, or Scotland--while still letting you have some mega fun with prints. Since it's so all-around rad, mixing several plaids at once is quite easy. I do it all the time. People think I'm a little weird, but it don't mean a thing.

It's time to hop on this trend train and take it all the way to Plaid City.
I try to write puns but sometimes they're just genuinely awful jokes that only old people are allowed to make. 

Weekendweekendweekend veryverysoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!