Saturday, March 23, 2013

Ballet Meets Russian Philosophy (Clover Canyon Fall 2013)

It would seem that excess and maximalism is a trend of sorts for Fall 2013. It was a huge part of the alice + olivia collection, and when I saw the Clover Canyon show two days later, there it was in all its bedazzled glory yet again. 

The show notes gave an ample picture of what the creative team at Clover Canyon was aiming for (and achieved). Their inspiration this season was Russia, calling on its "extreme luxury...extreme passion" and "radical, maximal aesthetics." You'll see in a minute how accurate all of this is. Some of the models were attired in pointe shoes--heavily bejeweled, of course--and went up on pointe every few minutes for the entire hour-long presentation. I would classify that as extreme passion. Exhibiting dedication wasn't exactly the point (no pun intended) of including the ballerina-models. Clover Canyon didn't just use Russia as an excuse to throw gems on everything they saw, they used it as a reference point for the collection by gathering inspiration from the "opulence of The Hermitage" and the Constructivism movement that began in Russia around the time of the Bolshevik Revolution and the end of World War I. Everything from the grace of the Russian ballerinas to the Siberian plains was used in this collection. 

What really struck me, though, were the questions posed at the end of the show notes. These were ideas that had not been brought up with the alice + olivia collection, but touched upon a different concept entirely: "Can there ever be too much beauty? Or too much love?"

I'd give you a whole long answer if I could, but I think that's one I'd have to mull over for quite some time. Discuss it amongst yourselves (comments section, anybody?). Let's reconvene in T minus 54 hours and share our findings. (Side note: I just understood the whole T minus thing; T is the variable, standing for 'time.' This is exciting.) 

[Photos (and the special surprise at the end) by me.]

I don't think there's anything more excessive than bedazzled pointe shoes. 

One thing's for sure: there can never be too much texture. 

The crazy thing is that this pattern that looks like a chandelier hanging from her body is actually just printed on the dress! Not a real chandelier! My mom was a little shocked by this news. 

The sweatshirt says "Clover Canyon" in Russian. 
And I'd wear those pants any day.

You'd think the (faux) fur would be the luxurious part of this ensemble. But the gold embroidering on the collar and the print of the jacket are competing with it in the best way possible.

The corner of ballerinas! 

Clover Canyon treats prints as neutrals.

She was so cute that I couldn't not include her here. 

This is probably the most awkward picture I have ever taken.

I guess I'm not the only one that likes dressing like a box.

Those are some good Friday night disco jammin' pants. And everybody needs a pair of decent Friday night disco jammin' pants. 

Short dresses with long sleeves are really, really elegant. I need to get me one o' those. 

The special surprise at the end of which I spoke! She was dancing so I took a million pictures and I later discovered that it looked like she was actually dancing in my photos --> GIF is made. 

It took me long enough to get all of my NYFW stuff covered (it ended over a month ago). Thankfully, meaning THANK THE FUQIN HOLY BEJEEZUS, I am on spring break now and I have about ten days of freedom. Five of these days include going to Harry Potter world. Basically all my dreams are coming true. I really am going back to Hogwarts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!