Monday, March 18, 2013

Can I Have Your Closet: Ramona Petrini

This week's subject is one of my near and dear buddy-pals, Ramona Petrini. We met in ninth grade, but became infinitely better friends when she switched schools this year. She's the Kerouac to my Ginsberg, my literary-and-music-and-film-and-bebopping-around partner in crime, and one of the best writers I've ever met. In addition to all of these wonderful attributes, she's got pretty bangin' personal style. The way she described it in her interview is quite on point, but even from the first day that I saw her in my freshman art class when she was the only soul brave enough to answer the questions our teacher posed about a twig, I thought to myself that she seemed like a really, really cool chick. I also admired her courageousness to wear a sheer black shirt (something I still can't do to this day, even though I've got one hanging pathetically in my closet), and I was immediately intrigued by her very distinctive drawing style, and the way she so expertly employed a fountain pen. All in all, she's a fantastic gal, and I've been meaning to feature her on my blog since the first day we met.

Odelia: How would you describe your style?
Ramona: It would be like a conjoined twin, or triplet, a conjoined twiplet—triplet [laughs] between my mom in the late eighties, early nineties, Françoise Hardy, and what I imagine the women in F. Scott Fitzgerald novels to dress like, except a little bit, I guess—I don't wanna use the word sluttier, but...risqué. [Laughs] Okay there, that's my answer.
Odelia: Who are your fashion icons and who do admire aesthetically?
Ramona: Again, my mom, late eighties, early nineties. Lee Radziwill, she was a Bouvier sister, she was Jackie O's sister, and her mom was always like, “Oh, you're not beautiful, you're too fat,” when in fact she was really not fat at all. They said, “You're not as pretty as your sister,” and everyone was like, “Jackie O's so beautiful!” But Lee Radziwill, she knew how to dress. I saw all these pictures of her apartment, and she's just an effortlessly glamourous and aesthetically wonderful person. And then also my dad.
Odelia: Where are your favorite places to shop?
Ramona: The first one is my favorite because I don't have to pay money for it, and it is my brother's closet where my mom keeps her old clothes from the late eighties and early nineties! [Laughs] And Beacon's Closet and Salvation Army, and occasionally if you go to Urban Outfitters you can find some pretty weird and cool stuff piled in a pile, in their marked down section.
Odelia: If you could own one or more items right now that you don't have, what would it or they be?
Ramona: I suppose this is kind of corny, but I would very much like to own and never will own, the dress from Breakfast at Tiffany's, the Givenchy one with the long—and how it just sorta bunches at the hips and the waist cinches and it's a really beautiful, well-designed piece of clothing. The other garment would be this pair of socks I saw in a movie. They were just this sheer beautiful black fabric with a little lacy thing at the top and a lavender bow so you can tie it at the calf. It was like, bein'-sexy-around-the-house socks, which are the kind of socks I feel like I really wanna have. Or at least have the kind of lifestyle that would require such socks.
Odelia: Do you remember the movie?
Ramona: No. I don't think it was very good, but the socks were a highlight.
Odelia: Would you say that fashion is a big focus in your life?
Ramona: Well, I'd say that style is. And aesthetic. And colors and textures and everything like that, on people especially. I don't know—if “fashion” as a concept of perpetual visual fixation of humans, and people dressing well, and people carrying themselves well, and everything, you know? If that were how fashion were defined, then yes.
Odelia: How would you describe personal style as a concept?
Ramona: I'd say, first off, that I think it's very important. Not so much that we should put a lot of stock in the way we look, but personal style reflects people. It's corny, but it's true: it's not you wear, but how you wear it. So I'd say that personal style should just be a way of being. So I guess I'd describe it as very...human. And in some instances, very nice.
Odelia: How do you feel that, if at all, high school has influenced your sartorial choices?
Ramona: Whoa. A lot of sartorial choices have been influenced by high school [laughs]. Not totally good influences across the board, I guess at least before I switched high schools. There's this kid at my school, and when I go to school every day, he says, “Hey sexy mama, you look great today.” I think that's been like...well, I wake up every day and I'm like, “If I were that kid, would I call myself a sexy mama and tell myself I look great today?” So I guess that's the most positive and productive sartorial influence that that's had on me [laughs]! 

[Photos by me.]

So smiley and adorable!

She wasn't sure what to do pose-wise, so I told her she could do anything she wanted. So she began an interpretive dance of sorts. 

Gotta love that sweater. 

More dancing. It went on for quite some time.

She's big on satchels and briefcases. At heart, she's a classy business man from the 1950s. 

Hey, notice how she's wearing plaidCoincidence? I think not.
I mean, also look at her conch necklace.

Also she has some really nice hair. She's got those midi-bangs that I so desperately want in order to fulfill my fantasy of looking like Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday.

Just in case the above information didn't capture the essence of Ramona, here is a short video taken while at her house after we finished up the interview and I accidentally turned the camera back on. 



Okay, I'm being very serious now, Ramona, I really would like your closet and would greatly appreciate if you would relinquish it without much of a fight. Please and thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!