Friday, March 29, 2013

Interviewing Famous People: Erin Barr

I went to Erin Barr's Spring 2013 presentation in September of this past year, and that was my first encounter with the designer's work. I had never heard of her, but I loved what I saw. I could tell that she was going places. Surely enough, Fall 2013 saw her transitioning to the runway, and she debuted her most recent collection at Chelsea Piers. That's like, a really big deal. The designer was kind enough to respond to a few questions of mine through email, so that's what you'll find below. 

Erin Barr is from Wisconsin, and originally studied to work in hair and makeup, graduating from the Aveda Institute. After working for a few years in the beauty business (quite successfully), she realized that fashion was her calling and moved to London for a year to attend Central Saint Martin's (the alma mater of Alexander McQueen, Stella McCartney, Zac Posen, Phoebe Philo, and a bajillion more extremely well-known fashion designers), and then came back to New York City to finish up her schooling at Parson's New School for Design. She then went on to intern at Alexander Wang and Cushnie et Ochs, and finally in the fall of 2011, she opened her own eponymous line and produced her first collection for Spring 2012. 

[Photos courtesy of MAO PR, from the designer's Fall 2012 collection.]


How did growing up in Wisconsin as opposed to a major city (like New York City) mold your ideas and conceptions of beauty and fashion? 

I think it's really all relative to where you are when it comes to fashion. I know when I go home, I probably dress a bit more practical. For example, there are times in the winter there when warmth trumps style! But you can still make it look cool and chic. In New York, I think fashion is for one much more accessible, and you can get a little more creative, a little crazier maybe!

What inspired you to initially pursue a career in hair and make-up? 

Fashion design as a career wasn't in my vocabulary growing up. For me doing hair and makeup was a step toward finding what I really wanted to do in life. I'm so happy that I have that background now, because it really helps to imagine and communicate an entire look or feel.


Did you always have a passion for clothing, or was it sparked by your high-profile work in New York City in salons and on photo shoots? 

I definitely always had a passion for clothing and design. I used to go to the Border's bookstore when I was in High School and just stock up on magazines. I would tear out everything I was inspired by, and I would keep the tear sheets in a binder. That was my thing.
 
Would you say that the decision to go to Central Saint Martins was life-changing? Did the experience reshape your future, or do you think you would have ended up designing even if you hadn't moved to London? 

For me, moving to London and attending CSM was the best experience and choice I've made. It's such a great school, and it really opened my mind up to the creative possibilities. The fact that there should be no limits, yet you should be able to have restraint as well. If I hadn't gone to London I like to think that I would still have ended up designing. I know I would definitely be making art, though. I have to, it's in my blood.


What was it like to intern at some of the most cutting edge and of-the-moment design houses? 

Really inspiring! I learned so much from working with Alexander Wang and at Cushnie et Ochs.


How did you start your own brand? Was it a huge leap from working for other people? 

I had been thinking about starting my own brand for some time, and then the timing just felt right. It was a challenge in the beginning, but it was the challenge that was exciting.


How would you describe your vision for your line? 

Tomboy-Sexy with a Minimalist twist.




Are there any other careers you would like to explore in the future? 

Motherhood. Artistic Collaborations. 

What would you say are the pros and cons of being a fashion designer? 

It's great being able to work in a creative environment. But you do a lot of running around from factory to office, to fabric/trim stores, to meetings, and then back again. It's never a sit still at your desk kind of day. 

Do you have any advice for someone looking to work in the fashion or beauty industries? 

I think it's very important to get experience in any way. Don't limit yourself to only the big brands, either. There is so much to learn working with a smaller company.
 
Is there anything else you would like to add? 

Well...1. Follow your dreams. and 2. Thank you for the great interview!

***
I strongly suggest checking out the rest of her collections (two of which I've got right here on my blog) and perusing her website. This lady is a rising star, so we must keep our eyes wide open lest we miss the moment when she becomes one of the revered designers on that list of alumni. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!