Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Inspired By A Human: Michelle Obama

I wouldn't be the first to say that I love Michelle Obama. I don't know much about many First Ladies throughout history, but I have reason to believe she's definitely one of the coolest. Some people get down on her for a variety of reasons, most of them inconsequential when we think about the fact that we are ALIVE and all of us are fragile human beans. It's one of those days, as you can see. Tuesdays are my Existentialism Days. (I just made that up.) 

I digress. Back to the First Lady. After retyping her title, I realized how fitting it truly is. She is a lady of many firsts. I think above all, she is a lady of action. She does stuff, instead of merely talking about doing stuff. She changed the food pyramid to a plate, because no one's food is stacked in the shape of polyhedron. Also, sustenance should not be hierarchized. She makes appearances at award shows generally reserved for Hollywood celebrities (see final picture). She dresses herself and her family in clothing the upper-middle class could afford. She advocates for healthy living and promotes balanced diets and exercise, especially for children and teens. She has a J.D. from the Harvard School of Law. She's revolutionizing what it means to be the First Lady; women in her position are no longer just figureheads, they are leaders in their own right. Hillary Clinton was also a true First Lady, but Michelle is a bonafide role model for women everywhere. She represents an attainable ideal of a woman we can all admire: she's intelligent, she works hard, she takes care of her family, she isn't unnaturally thin, and she's a pioneering thinker. I know that may seem like the opposite of what I said, that she's so all around good at everything that it's impossible to emulate Michelle Obama. But think about it this way: she got to where she is today by being all of those things that I listed, not by being a pretty doll on display for public consumption. There's nothing wrong with using natural beauty to one's advantage, but it can only get you so far. If there's anything I learned from reading The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde it's that beauty fades inevitably, but intellect and sincerity and kindness do not. That's what I feel that Michelle embodies. 

Also, she always looks effing awesome. 

[Photos via Harper's Bazaar and Google.]

Jason Wu, April 2009

Dancing it out on "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon"

Kai Milla at a White House event honoring Stevie Wonder in 2009

J.Crew, April 2009

Michael Kors, September 2010

Naeem Khan

Oscar de la Renta, 2009

Peter Soronen, February 2009

Peter Soronen, May 2010

Thakoon, April 2009

Naeem Khan, Academy Awards of 2013

Happy Tuesday. Is it just me, or is it HELLA HOT OUTSIDE?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!