Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Gala-vanting

I didn't mention it at the time, but I was fairly disappointed with the outfits at last year's Met Gala. Therefore, my hopes weren't very high when I began scrolling through photos of celebrities' outfits from this year's event on Harper's Bazaar. The exhibit is called "Punk: Chaos to Couture," and celebrates--you guessed it--punk fashion. That made me a little bit nervous. Punk can either be really good, or really god-awful. I was worried people would take it too seriously and show up with mohawks and septum rings. 

As it turns out, there were a ton of fine-lookin' people at the Met the other night, way more than I expected. I'm not really sure why this happened; maybe everyone was more inspired by punk than Prada? Who knows. The only thing that's certain is that the Olsen twins are freakin' awesome. 

[Photos via Harper's Bazaar.]

Ashley Olsen in Dior Couture
You see what I mean? Tangerine fairy. Done.

Florence Welch in Givenchy by Ricardo Tisci
Cowboy dominatrix with the voice of a vibrating angel. 

Giovanna Battaglia in Dolce & Gabbana 
Despite the controversy over Dolce & Gabbana's Spring 2013 collection, Giovanna Battaglia looks like an Italian queen.

Anne Hathaway in Valentino
Anne goes blonde???? I don't know what to do. I don't know how to respond. I guess my first response is "yes.....???"

Kirsten Dunst in Louis Vuitton
I don't really understand her dress, but it's so intriguing that I couldn't not include it.

Lauren Santo Domingo in Dolce & Gabbana
There's something so classically beautiful about this dress that makes me long for days when wearing gowns every day was acceptable. I'm not really sure what time period I'm referring to but I'm sure it existed. 

Mary-Kate Olsen in Chanel Couture, vintage Balmain, and Louis Vuitton
Yes. Yes. Yes. You are a queen, Mary-Kate. 

Miley Cyrus in Marc Jacobs
I can't say I enjoy Miley Cyrus very much (although I do have a CD signed by her in my room...oh, fourth grade, what a crazy time you were), nor do I dig her hair very much, but her dress was ultra-punk in only a way that Marc Jacobs could make it. 

Rooney Mara in Givenchy by Ricardo Tisci (with the designer)
I always feel like Rooney Mara is silent. Like she never opens her mouth to speak, she just stands there looking awesome and sealing her lips with dark lipstick.

Sarah Jessica Parker in Giles, with Phillip Treacy hat
Funky.

Constance Jablonski in Wes Gordon (with the designer)
I enjoy dog collar dresses as much as the next girl.

Dakota Fanning in Rodarte
Dakota, Dakota, how I adore your wardrobe.

Alexa Chung in Erdem
I don't think I even need to reiterate my feelings towards Alexa Chung.

Allison Williams in Altuzarra
Girls will be girls. (See what I did there?)

Hanneli Mustaparta in Calvin Klein
Hanneli does it again. Peep the arm band. It's like a choker for your...arm.

And that's a wrap. I just dropped my computer on the floor because I am a spazhands (VERY different from jazz hands) and now I must pray bi-daily (is there another word for this?) that my dear Sherica doesn't do something bad.

Two days. You can do it! ~Si se puede~ (I don't speak Spanish)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!