Monday, December 3, 2012

The Revel Boys

A few weeks ago, I received an email from Octavia containing the link to a website. She said her friend's brother and his friend had started it, and that I should check it out. So that is what I did: I checked it out, and immediately loved what I saw. This website is called Revel, founded by Eli Rudavsky and Adam Schorin, two New York City high schoolers. It's a site for teens to look at and discuss art in an attempt to efface the taboo there is on art as a conversational topic for young people. But the art they showcase is not stuff like Van Gogh's "Starry Night," or even William Wegman photographs. It's all art, music, and writing created by teenagers (with the exception of links shared on the blog--that stuff is kind of from all over the place). After perusing the site for a good long while and being humbled and deeply impressed by the work I saw, I emailed the creators. A week later, I found myself in Central Park, kneeling in front of my tripod as I filmed the boys talking about their new endeavor. I won't give anything else away, seeing as there's an entire interview chock full of information for you to watch below. Without further ado, I give you the guys behind Revel.

Actually, I lied. Just a few quick notes before we begin: halfway through the interview my camera died, so we had to use Adam's iPhone for the rest. That's why there's a different color tone and sound for certain parts of the video. Also it was really cold outside. Just sayin'. Lastly, Eli is the one on your left and Adam is the one on your right. 

[Video filmed and edited by me.]



I strongly advise that you check out the site, and perhaps if you are on the Book of Faces that you like their page. They give you updates whenever new stuff goes up on Revel, so you're constantly inundated by beautiful art by people just like you. And you might even know some of the people whose stuff is on there (me and Octavia, wink, wink). You know what else you should do? Submit your work to Revel. I know you guys are secretly artists/musicians/writers/everything-else-rs, so in the wise words of Eli (and coincidentally Nike): "Just do it."

Enjoy the rest of your disturbingly warm December week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!