Monday, November 26, 2012

Winter Is Blue

...That is, according to Vashti Bunyan. She's kind of all-knowing in her own hippie-gypsy way.

Even though I love winter as a concept, in practice we're not the best of friends. The thought of being really cold and throwing on a sweater and drinking hot tea is exciting until I remember how nasty I feel on the subway wearing too many layers, or how unpleasant it is when I'm walking to school and I have no feeling in my legs. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 30s and 40s, which means I have to be wearing buttloads of clothing that I will have to shed and put on depending on what classroom I'm in. Someone needs to figure out how to get some uniform heating going on in my school, because I had to wear my peacoat as a cape during English today, while I stripped down to my two lightest layers in art class. Get on it, guys. 

All of that was irrelevant to the point of this post. Since the winter solstice (aka the best yet most under-appreciated holiday of the year) is less than a month away, let's focus on the present moment. It's Monday, we have a full week ahead of us, and my eyes are shutting as I write this. What does this mean, really? I'm just beating around the proverbial bush to an outrageous extent. I AM TIRED AND UNINSPIRED TO DO MUCH AND YOU PROBABLY SHARE SIMILAR SENTIMENTS SO I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE HELPFUL FOR YOU GUYS IF I POSTED SOME FUNNY AND STIMULATING PICTURES I TOOK OF PHOTOGRAPHS AT THE MUSEUM ON ELLIS ISLAND OVER THE SUMMER. There. The power of run-on sentences and capital letters. And fragments. Yes. 

[Original photographers unknown.] 

The inspirational ones:




The oh-Lordy ones: 



And if you happen to have 27 minutes (or even just a few, every single part is amazing) to listen to the poet (and one of my personal idols) Allen Ginsberg perform one of his most famous poems, "Howl," here you go: 


Cyber Monday? Not a fan. Are you, though? I won't hate, I promise. 

2 comments:

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!