Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Trending For Pre-Fall: Pumpkins and Citrus Fruits and Loraxes

Let's play a little game, shall we? I'll ask a question and you'll guess the answer. What do pumpkins, citrus fruits, and Loraxes have in common? 

I'm impatient, so I'll just answer for you. It's orange. 

Familiar topic? I think yes. Snaps for orange for staying relevant for a year. 

I wish there was more to write, but not much has changed since the last two times I wrote about it. It's still true that orange is much more versatile than you think and that the only barrier people face on the road to rocking the shiz out of it is wearing the correct shade of it. A few lil' tippies on selecting the proper hue for you skin tone can be found in the following sentences. Note: I am literally copying and pasting what I wrote last time, because paraphrasing yourself is quite pathetic and somewhat of a waste of time since it's not plagiarism. 

If you have fair skin, brighter oranges look best (see Balenciaga and T by Alexander Wang). If you have yellow-ish skin, I suggest wearing an orange with more of a yellow undertone than a red undertone (see Issey Miyake and Alice + Olivia). If you have dark skin, you can probably pull off most shades of orange, but the more the vibrant they are, the more flattering (see Issey Miyake). I admit that a lot of those designers didn't quite correlate with what I was saying about colors, but for the sake of preserving good sentence structure and what I remember being an obnoxiously generous use of the thesaurus, I shan't rephrase myself. Think of it as refresher course of sorts. ...On the appropriate uses of a secondary color. 

Even though the color hasn't changed and neither have its rules, the styles and garments are, of course, different. Take a look-see for yourself and look/see what I'm talking about. I conveniently sorted them into categories of pumpkins, citrus fruits, and Loraxes. The joke's on you--pumpkins and Loraxes are the same shade. 

Photos via style.com.


Pumpkins:

                                  Alice + Olivia                                                             Issey Miyake
          

Citrus fruits: 

                                   Balenciaga                                                         T by Alexander Wang
          

                            T by Alexander Wang                                                       Balenciaga
               

                                  Balenciaga                                                         T by Alexander Wang
          

Loraxes:
        
                                 Issey Miyake                                                             Issey Miyake
          

More outerwear, more leather, fewer dresses, fewer matching accessories. Tweaks, not changes. Seasonal shifts, if you will. 

I'm having that the-summer-is-almost-over-holy-f**k moment persisting feeling of panic; the one that worries me that I will not get anything done before school starts and that I am wasting time when I am sleeping. 

I just wrote two full paragraphs that I then deleted. Now I am left with one extremely long sentence, spliced only by a semicolon. In order to conserve my sanity, I'll quite trying to write anything meaningful and sleep (yes, sleep! It's not always a waste of time) because for some reason I always start blogging past midnight. 

In other news, I'm really feeling the Beat Generation right now. Allen Ginsberg, Jack Kerouac, William S. Boroughs...all great stuff. I just added a few poetry and letter anthologies to my to-buy-and-subsequently-read list. I wonder if this will somehow translate to fashion in any way? 

Be kind to yourself. (Quotin' Allen Ginsberg up in hurr)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!