Friday, August 3, 2012

Current Obsession: Mexican Embroidered Clothing

It was around a month ago that I was in California, livin' it up in the greater Los Angeles area and various cities in Southern California. Note: a major digression is about to begin (was that an unintentional music joke?). You know how Southern California is often abbreviated as SoCal? One day while waiting for the bus in L.A., one of them said "Local" on the top, and I spent a solid minute trying to figure out what part of California "Local" represented before I realized that it was simply a non-express bus. Digression completed. 

One of our small day/late evening trips included Old Town, San Diego, the oldest town in California. Since the town is only a fifteen minute drive from Tijuana, Mexico (unfortunately, we didn't cross the border even though we were so close. We weren't really in the mood to get involved with the drug cartels.), it has a very Mexican-inspired feel: Mexican restaurants, people, and stores everywhere. While in Old Town, we stopped by some cute street and alleyway markets selling clothes native to the area. As soon as I saw those embroidered dresses and blouses, my heart swelled the size of an average-sized balloon, filled with love for these garments. Due to the simplicity of the silhouettes and fabrics, the embroidery itself stood out like a beautiful, hand-sewn, vibrantly multicolored thumb. I go through phases where I admire the homey charm of embroidery, and I am definitely experiencing one of those moments right now. I think it's safe to say that I'm currently obsessed. Things that really suck: I was completely broke after we left Los Angeles and couldn't buy anything, but that just means I have to make something myself. Hashtag seamstress problems. 

The thing that I really adore about embroidered apparel is that it looks sort of rustic yet very happy and romantic, all at the same time. These sort of dresses are frequently very reminiscent of Frida Kahlo. And you know I luh dat bitch. They are particularly perfect right now because: a) it's summer and it's hot and cotton is the shiz,  b) flowers are fantastic and make everyone cheerful, and  c) there's something that I can't quite place that's just so festive and pleasing about decorative sewing. 

I spent a lil' while today browsing Etsy for the best o' the best in Mexican embroidered clothing. Below is my selection of those said best. 

Photos via etsy.com.

Frida Flowers dress from Honeywood Vintage (this Etsy store is totally rad; I highly encourage you to check it out. It's also not extremely overpriced for someone who has more than ninety-nine cents to their name like I do) 

Mexican White Tunic from Made in Technicolor (also a solid store option if you are in the market for a garment of this ilk) 


Vintage 70s Embroidered Mexican Maxi Dress from Raggedy Threads (once again, Raggedy Threads is a super duper snazzy shop to look at) 




Are you in love yet? Because I am. If this doesn't become a high-fashion trend within the next few seasons, I will make it a trend. 

I just watched my cousins attempt to eat over ten pounds of food as a part of their yearly birthday challenge, so I'm still a little traumatized. 

It's the weekend? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!