Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Trending For Pre-Fall: Not Turquoise, Not Lapis...Cerulean

The title of this post is a reference to what is possibly my favorite monologue of all time. If I were auditioning for something, I would use that. Screw Shakespeare (luh dat bitch)! If you're like, "What is happening. What is cerulean. It sounds like crustacean. And isn't lapis the French word for 'rabbit?'" then you need to do two things: 1) leave  2) go watch The Devil Wears Prada. 

If you've been reading this blog since last summer, you may remember when I saw this film last and had slight epiphanic reactions to it. This masterpiece, the epitome of cinematic genius (IMDb has no idea what they're talking about, it deserves more than 6.7 stars), is relevant today for more than one reason. First of all, today's trend is about--you guessed it!--blue. Secondly, since I started my internship at Lyn Devon on Monday, I've felt a lot like Andy and Emily; running all around the city delivering garments and picking up items from the warehouse and doing odd jobs here and there...it's madness. Maybe you've heard this before and scoffed, but you better believe it now because I am telling you fo' rill: interns are the hardest working ones there. I'm serious. We're the ones that do inventory and move stock from venue to venue and make sure our clients have their clothing in a timely and organized fashion for free. Essentially, it's slave labor. But educational slave labor. 

Now for the trendy stuff. Blue is slowly trickling back into the fashion world multitudinously (see the blue mascara at Stella McCartney), but it's been gathering steam with every new season. Whatever shade it is, blue is going to look good on you 96.5453% (note: that statistic is entirely false) of the time. When you're a toddler, blue is usually associated with boys, and pink with girls. The gender barriers are falling down--although the foundations are still there--and lines are being crossed that were left untouched for years. Men wearing pink, women wearing blue...the latter is not such a shocker, but let's pretend. 

How does one wear blue? See for yourself. 

Photos via style.com.

Turquoise: 

                              Alberta Ferretti                                                                DSquared²
          

                               Narciso Rodriguez                                            Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti 
          

Lapis: 

                               Emporio Armani                                                    T by Alexander Wang
          
   
                            T by Alexander Wang                                                         Acne
          



Cerulean: 

                                 Issey Miyake                                                         Opening Ceremony
          

Issey Miyake

If you're one of those "I don't wear color" crackheads (jokes, jokes), blue is the perfect gateway drug pigment. Start with dark hues in the navy and lapis family and slowly work your way up to more vibrant shades such as cerulean, cobalt, and turquoise. Or if you'd like to work your way down from white, jump on the pastel bandwagon and begin by incorporating sky, powder, and baby blues into your wardrobe. 

I am dead tired and can't feel my feet, but I'm being immersed in fashion, which is absolutely wonderful. I'm a dreadfully fast learner when it comes to menial tasks (yet painfully slow when it comes to historical facts), so I'll be a pro when I do my next internship, whatever that may be. Come at me. I'm ready.

P.S. Bird is the word, so spread it! ...As in spread the word about this site if you feel so inclined. A surprising amount of my readers came from my personal Facebook account, and now that that's gone, I need your help, my lovelies, to tell people to come and enjoy the fruits of my endless labor. 

The weekend is soon, school is soon, Fashion Week is soon. I can't tell if I'm excited or terrified of all three or not. 

1 comment:

  1. Loving the different shades of blue! Especially the DSquared sweater: really hoping someone makes a cheaper version of that this season.

    Devil of Prada is a great movie, its one of the few that I can watch multiple times and never get sick of it. I think I heard something about a sequel being made?

    xx
    http://sophisticatedlace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What's On Your Mind, Dear Readers!